June ROYGBIV - True Blue
My June #focusthrutheprism challenge was in many ways the biggest challenge yet. I did a ton of new-to-me quilting techniques. Improve sewing, meandering that looks good, binding 3 sides, literally empty space as a design element, facing a quilt instead of wrapped binding. The result was well worth it.
This months challenge was the friendship star. At first I thought I would have a hard time with it - then I suddenly popped an idea. My closest friends are mostly far away. So I wanted to incorporate that feeling of distance. Then I was reminded of the friendship charms we have as kids. Little charms that have special words and look to be broken in half - each member of the friendship charm wears it on their person. That image stuck with me. So how to interpret it...
Taking my greys and making a background in an improv style. I chose to use the indigo for true blue. Then to start working on the 2 halves. I wanted the star in blues and the background in greys. As I was sewing I decided it needed a outline to make it clear and give a bit of punch - so I used two thin black and white borders on the star pieces.
Straight starburst quilting on one part of the star.After I had this piece is when I cut the jagged end of the upper side of the hanging. I did not get pics but I wanted the cut out in the middle to follow the same path - and that was tricky with still having those edges turned under. By finishing the edge of one, then laying it over the backing of the other and sketching the line - I got my jagged edge evenly spaced.
Then, my next challenge - meandering. I am much better with waves or straight line stitching. But I tackled a mini meander on the blue of the opposite star. Got muscle cramps in my hands but it was worth it!
More straight line quilting and a larger meander later and I had 2 pieces of the friendship star. The next challenge was how to bind on 3 edges. Someone suggested facing the quilt. After reviewing a few how to blogs, I went with this fantastic and simple tutorial. There are a ton of additional tips out there, but this one worked for me! I am now a huge fan of facing a quilt!
Next - to block the pieces and then somehow attach them to each other. As the Cherrywood fabrics are hand dyed I did not want to soak them, just in case. So, a spritz of water and hot iron on the back was enough to get it flat and pinned to its correct size. Lay out over night.
Then, to attach. I wound up pinning them to a large mat I have and just hand stitching in lines of thread at all the points of the jagged edges. I love it! The thread is almost invisible from a very short distance away. As a final design element I added two large beads to the front. For each friend in the star.
This is a series of techniques I want to continue to explore. Very fun results!