Fiber Art Blog 2019 Redux

It has been almost 2 years since I last posted.

Wow.


So, for 2019 I have a few plans. Most of those plans involve doing things that are positive and enrich my life along with possibly sharing a bit with others. Getting back to blogging about my creative journey is a fine mix of both goals.  So, 2019, here we go...

A journey start - like when I last moved across country

This blog started as a chronicle of a specific project. It was intended to be finite. Instead, it has become a bit of a life journey for me. I am still working on the block a day project. It is no longer a block every day. And I do not always add it to the quilt as you go I still have going. Instead my skills have grown enough that I make a lot of test items that become useful.

Test block that has seen a lot of use!

However, I am still definitely working on the block a day in some form. I have learned a tremendous amount from the project and how it has grown to encompass my creative journey. I highly encourage any artist to do something similar - it will help you grow your art.

I recently participated in a PechaKucha in my local Art Guild. 20 pictures X 20 seconds each. It is a very cool presentation style that can be used for any topic.

When I agreed to participate I had a vague idea of using the 395 blocks a day project. When it came to make the presentation I started to struggle. What would I SAY?  I was not interested in just saying 'and this picture is...' as I can use captions for that. I needed a story, some kind of background. So then I thought about what that project was built to accomplish. It was meant as a way to allow my creative thoughts expression without worrying about waste or 'what if it is bad?' that can often stop us from exploring creative ideas. A single block is small enough it is not a huge monetary commitment and large enough to see what will happen. If you like it - you keep going. At the least you can adjust and figure out the engineering of your art.

A finished quilt that started with test blocks

What I realized as I was building this presentation is just how much this project has influenced and freed my creative drive. I also thought about how much I struggle with being called by others 'artist' or 'expert'. As I am constantly learning new things in fiber art I still self identify as a novice. Yet I am comfortable teaching others and bringing what I have learned to other artists.

So my story was born. I spoke about how this project has helped me expand my skills and will continue to do so. I also briefly touched on what quilting in fiber art means to me - now more than ever. One of the joys of this presentation was being a room with a variety of creative people. We had a wedding dress designer, a blacksmith, a metal sculptor, a watercolor artist and several others. We connected with members of the community and each other in a unique and wonderful way. Holding the event in a local brewery made it that much more fun. I was right in the middle of a nasty flu that night, but still had a great time.

 Click here to see the presentation
Click to see the presentation


I have made a great many things in the last 2 years.

Some finished 2018 projects

I have also started several new creative offshoots.  I am vice president of a quilt guild. I have joined the Modern Quilt Guild as an individual member. I am co-chair of a local quilt show planning committee.  I am also a member of our community Art Guild.  For someone as antisocial as I am I feel I am doing very well in pushing those personal boundaries!

Some UFOs started in 2018

So, here is to turning 2019 into our own personal good year. Bring joy to your tiny bit of life and it will expand. That's my plan!

Comments

Popular Posts