Blocks 114, 115, 116, and 117 out of 368

This series was a late night experiment with my fabric circle cutter and fancy stitches on my sewing machine.

I love the graphic nature of quilting, and using the most basic shapes; circles, squares and triangles; to create a mosaic of art.  However, sewing tends to be done on straight lines so adding curves is always a challenge.
I call this one the feather stitch

I took 4 fabrics and using my circle cutter cut them into 3 circle shapes.  All but the smallest solid circle is a little off center.

Using a series of leafy decorative stitches
Then, I swapped them up in 4 blocks layering them all differently.  I did not use glue or fusible, just sewed them down free hand using decorative stitches on my machine.  I also was using up short bits of bobbin thread, so it actually has several shades of red thread on the back.  I actually like the effect this created - might do it on purpose someday.
I call this stitch the starburst stitch.  

I really like how they all came out, though they also feel a little like alien eyeballs.  I am keeping the circle cutter handy - looking at a drunkards path for a project - will have to test it here first of course!

This one is like a wavy zig zag, one of my favorites










Comments

Popular Posts