Block 161-164 and Block 165 or 368

These blocks came about from an excess of fabulous fabric and a desire to retest a technique.

I had read this blog a while ago on improv curved piecing.  I have used the technique a tiny bit in improv drunkards path blocks.  I even used it to make a wonky circles baby quilt a while back!

But I wanted to try it again in a simpler block, highlighting some gorgeous fabrics I have been given.

I selected 4 fabrics I thought would look good together (like that's hard with these batiks!) I then placed them light to dark.

For the back I used a large piece of the medium blue in the pieced bit.  It gave me a chance to show off the batik print and color variation in that one fabric.

Then, cut and sew, cut and sew!  I used a similar feel in the quilting.  Using an aqua thread I did improved wavy lines.  I let them echo, overlap, whatever I felt the space needed.  In the end its an 18 inch block that is landscape looking.  It reminds me heavily of looking at the peninsula across Cook Inlet in Alaska.

 Then, When I got done with that and squared it, I had a chunk leftover.  Not enough for another block on its own, but too much to discard.  So, I decided to play with adding another bit to it.

I found a batik brown, green and light aqua.  Used the green for Quilt as you go strips, and quilted the brown and teal in another small chunk using matchstick quilting lines.
 This is the back.  It is the first pieced back for this project.  I love it!
And voila!  each charming and lovely and each a bit different from the other.

keep sewing!


Popular Posts