Blocks 166 and 167 of 368

Isn't there a saying about mimicry being the highest compliment?  If not, there should be.

After I saw this quilt from the Tokyo Quilt Festival on Flickr I fell in instant quilty love.  

While I am not fond of hand quilting and therefor kind of allergic to quilting hexigons, I do love the geometry and design possibilities.  This quilt may be my favorite ever example of hexigon use.

So, I elected to do a bit of this on a smaller scale.  I used 1.5 inch hexigon templates and then made a few diamonds and larger hexis to fit.  

 Pulling shades and prints of blues from my stash I put them in roughly tone order.
 For the backing I decided to use a batik with lots of movement and color to highlight the quilting.

For the quilting I simply did straight lines along the edges of all the pieces.  It created a wonderful geometric pattern that looks wonderful.  I decided to make this into 2 blocks for the added interest of the sashing once they are put into the quilt.  It will look almost like a paned window.

I love how this came out.  The different sizes of hexi fool the eye with the different prints.  It almost creates a while new print.  While I am not asure I have the patience to do this on a larger scale it is tempting...

Keep quilting!

Comments

Popular Posts